Thursday, February 25, 2010

The $1.99 Store!

So, this week we went to the $1.99 store, much like the $1 store in the U.S. and may I just say it is my new favorite store. I know that sounds silly, but finding anything in Brazil at a good price is so rare. I don't say that to complain, I just think that everything is really expensive. God always provides for us so well, so I don't have to worry about buying things, but it is so rare, that I think, wow, I got such a good deal on that. I love being a smart shopper and doing that here has been challenging. If you remember my post about the cheap grocery store, sometimes getting things cheaper has it's down sides. Anyway, I love the $1.99 store. I went to look for a watering can for Joel since he loved watering plants with my Mom when we were back at Christmas. Not only did we find that but we found several other useful items and all for a grand total of $16.95, if I remember right. Ahhhhhhhh, what a great feeling the feeling of getting a lot for your money, I had almost forgotten what it felt like. I got 2 buckets, a lighter to the light our gas stove, a battery, the watering can for Joel and a pizza cutter. (We love having homemade pizza, I make a killer whole wheat crust for anyone who wants to come over and eat pizza with us, but anyhow, our other pizza cutter broke a while back and I just kept forgetting to get a new one.) They had several other things that I almost bought, a tambourine for Joel and a little sand shovel/bucket for Joel to play with at the beach $3.95), which by the way I later saw at another store in the mall for $19.99. All these prices are in "real" by the way, which is the monetary unit in Brazil. One dollar right now is worth about 1.80 reais. So, I just had to share all about our successful trip. Joel was even quiet in the stroller! That sounds like a great trip all the way around to me! Not to mention that it did wonders for the bargain hunter in me. :)

6 comments:

MikeandCharlsie said...

Yay!!! Glad you found a fun (cheap) store. Sounds like a fun shopping experience. You mentioned whole wheat pizza, can you get whole wheat down there?

Sabrina Bettini said...

I think I will invite myself to eat some pizza with you! :)
It sounds really yummy!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jude & Jane Geroy said...

Hey Charlsie, I can get whole wheat flour and I am still exploring the health food store for the things that they have, but as far as I know I haven't seen wheat that I could grind up myself. But, we are doing a little at a time so that I can get used to cooking healthier. Soaking, I just have to get used to....Do you grind your own wheat? Is soaking still beneficial if the flour isn't freshly ground?
Sabrina-We need to plan another night for you guys to come and eat pizza!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.